Advancing Pacific Studies and Pacific Community Networks in Victoria and beyond
A group tobring together people in Victoria interested in the Pacific Islands and plan and publicise activities at the state level.
This group is the communications network for the Victorian Pacifici Studies Community Network (or some similar name to be decided) which intends to become an affiliate of the Australian Association for Pacific Studies.
As detailed in the AAPS constitution, the intended aims of the organisation are:
- To promote the international excellence of Australian research and teaching in Pacific Studies
- To play an advocacy role with Government, NGOs, schools, businesses, media and universities and to increase public awareness of Pacific Studies
- To promote Pacific Studies and its component disciplines at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- To promote the role of Australian repositories in the collection, preservation and access to Pacific Island research, cultural and historical materials
- To promote excellence in the teaching of Pacific Studies through professional development programs for university teachers
- To promote specifically the study of Australia-Pacific Island relations
- To establish and maintain links with Pacific communities is Australia
- To establish and maintain links with honorary correspondent members and cognate organisations overseas
Membership of the Association is free to all who agree with these aims, go to the website and join! (where it says Register). http://www.aaps.edu.au
DATE: 22-26 April, 2014
WHERE: University of Sydney
The Pacific Ocean covers one-third of the earth’s surface and contains thousands of islands. Yet, as Epeli Hau’ofa’s seminal paper about the ‘Sea of Islands’ shows, oceans are not a barrier, but highways to contact. This conference employs the concept of Oceanscapes from The Pacific Oceanscape Vision, introduced by President Anote Tong of Kiribati and endorsed by the Pacific Island Forum. It…Continue
Posted by Helen Hill on January 25, 2014 at 0:31
This Postgraduate unit at Victoria University will take place at VU City Campus, 300 Flinders Street on Wednesday evenings. Co-ordinators are Helen Hill and Mosese Waqa. It can be done by Honours year, Postgraduate Certificate, Diploma or…Continue
Posted by Helen Hill on February 20, 2013 at 14:30
The Next Informal Starting Meeting: Advancing Pacific Studies and Pacific Community Networks in Victoria and Beyond.
‘Celebrating 2012 with a Pre-Christmas Get Together including Dinner and Drinks’ Reminder this Thursday 13/12/2012. No need to RSVP.
Meet at 6 p.m. on Thursday 13 December at Papa Ginos 221 Lygon Street Carlton, VIC 3053 Melbourne, Australia, at one of the outside tables around 6.00 p.m.
Posted by Ben Anwyl on December 11, 2012 at 17:07
Next Informal Starting Meeting: Advancing Pacific Studies and Pacific Community Networks in Victoria and Beyond.
Our next gathering get together will ‘Celebrate 2012 with a Pre-Christmas Get Together including Dinner and Drinks’ and will be another first chance to develop this Pacific network.
The first informal dinner tested Pacific studies and community networking strategy and presented ideas for starting in Victoria. We want to encourage and welcome further…Continue
Posted by Ben Anwyl on November 22, 2012 at 7:24
Reminder 15/11/ 2012 6pm Victorian Pacific Studies Community Network Get Together at Papa Ginos 221 Lygon Street
Carlton, VIC 3053
Advancing Pacific Studies and Pacific Community Networks in Victoria and beyond. Get together over a meal next Thursday, the 15th November in Lygon Street, Carlton. Papa Ginos' Pizza place is the venue, meet at one of the outside tables around 6.00pm This is to set the ball rolling on discussions of how best to…Continue
Posted by Ben Anwyl on November 10, 2012 at 18:50